Key Activities and Achievements
- Formation and mobilization of groups at grassroots
- Networking and collaboration through coalition and networks from grassroots to national and international level
- Awareness and capacity development initiatives such as trainings, workshops etc.
- HR education programs through radio and F.M. services
- Celebration of human rights related days
- Monitoring, documentation and dissemination of human rights information through publications and online news portal (www.inseconline.org)
- Campaigns, lobbies and advocates on HR issues at local, national and international level
- Urgent actions such as emergency rescue and relief efforts to HR violation victims, issuance of press statements, fact-finding among others.
- Initiatives related to Peacebuilding and democracy strengthening such as free and fair election campaigns, election observation, parliamentary watch etc.
- Conducting research
- Registration of Public Interest Litigation (PIL)
- During conflict period-Even in the adverse situation, INSEC unceasingly worked for protection and promotion of human rights of the citizens in the decade long armed conflict. As a result lives of numbers of persons from both side of the conflict secured and large value of property of persons and state protected.
- During post-conflict period-In joint initiation with other like-minded organisations, thousands of IDPs re-settled in their origin places.
- Education and capacity development initiatives-Thousands of general people belonging marginalized and disadvantaged groups have been made aware on basic human rights and other contemporary issues.
- INSEC as a source of information-A large number of stakeholders such as government and non-governmental organizations, researchers, conflict victims, HR activists along with general people have been referring the INSEC sources for different purposes like producing articles, research reports, data verification. Further, numbers of victims of armed conflict era have been able to receive relief based on INSEC documentation such as Nepal Human Rights yearbooks, Conflict Victims’ Profile etc.
- Policy level achievements- As a result of continuous lobby/advocacy from human rights community including INSEC,
- NHRC, Nepal issued a guideline for HRDs and appointed a National Rapporteur on HRDs in its office.
- For the first time in Nepalese history, the joint UPR report prepared by more than 235 HR organizations and submitted to UN.
- Government of Nepal on 25 May 2011 declared the "School as Zone of Peace.
- Election Commission of Nepal in its code of conduct for upcoming CA election prohibited the use of children and school premises for election purposes (bullet 32 & 35)
- The Legislature-Parliament has passed the Bill on Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Commission of Inquiry on Disappearances (TJ mechanisms) on 25 April 2014.
- Other notable achievements-
- In Sankhuwasabha district, more than 40% schools are turned into a peace zone and are no more affected by strikes and other political activities.
- INSEC information comprising Nepal Human Rights Yearbook, Conflcit Victim's Profile and others has been one of the vital and reliable sources of information for Nepal Conflict Report 2012 prepared by UN OHCHR.